Does phone work better for the net than Verizon router?
Andy Burnelli
2022-12-06 16:39:42 UTC
One huge advantage of Ethernet on a laptop is you can stick Wi-Fi in it.
And one can then enjoy, a degraded connection speed much worse lag/ping
and have a network prone to intereference
*Why did you just make that (wrong) assumption up, sans a shred of data?*

Have you ever done it? HINT: I have. Many times. Many _many_ times.
An advantage?
We don't want your misconceptions sway other people wrongly so, which is
why I'm bothering to respond to your errant suggestions made just now.

To be clear...

The main advantage of sticking a Wi-Fi bridge into a PC Ethernet port is
that you instantly obtain the _legal limits_ of Wi-Fi signal strength!

Plus you gain receiver sensitivity that PC cards can only dream of having.

If that's not an astoundingly huge advantage to you, then it simply means
your problem set is so trivial that the weak PC Wi-Fi suffices for you.

But for others on this newsgroup, those _huge_ advantages may be important.
a. Signal strength (up to the legal limits for your country)
b. Receiver sensitivity (the best money can buy)
I don't think so.
Do you think I just made it up or do you think I've actually _done_ it?
Many times I've done it...
Taking measurements each time...
On both ends of the connection...

Have you ever done it?
I have.
Lag/ ping.
I have compared connecting my PS4 using wifi and wired connections
and playing Gran Turismo 7, The wifi connection introduces considerable
lag which quite noticeably affects gameplay.
Many lobbies on GT7 will only accept players using a wired connection
Everything depends on the specifications of the equipment you are using.

I connect to an access point _10 kilometers_ away from my computer.

Notice the quality ratings are in the 84% to 94% range (which is decent).
Interference.
This laptop; when asked to show available networks finds 12
assorted ISP access points being used by the neighbours, if each of
those has the UK average of 5+ devices connected then I am surrounded by
over 50 wifi devices all fighting for airspace.
With radio, interference is always something you are keenly aware of.
That's why you run a spectrum analysis, which each of these radios do.
<https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204950584-airMAX-Guide-to-Channel-Scanning-with-airView>

Notice that finds all interference in the band - not just Wi-Fi protocols!

Using that info, you can set any of hundreds of frequency bands & widths.
<https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/205223430-ISP-Wireless-Guide-to-Channel-Width-Selection>
I have one wifi device a Roberts Stream94i streaming radio which lives
in the bedroom.
I this room I have this laptop. a smart TV, a Playstation 4, a Freesat
STB, a SKy q satellite recorder, an AV receiver, a BluRay universal disc
player and a BT Youview IPTV recorder, all these use ethernet.
There's nothing wrong with Ethernet... except for that it needs the cable.
I have wondered what the result would be if I disconnected the ethernet
and let the devices fight it out amongst themselves for the wifi
channels. I'll leave that for when I'm terminally bored.
One option, which I've done many times, is you can set an old Wi-Fi router
in the room (acting either as a repeater or as an extender) and then all
the Wi-Fi devices in the room simply interact with that one spare router.

You can see an old Linksys WRT54G set up as a wired repeater in this shot:

My one piece of strong advice to the many people reading this now, and in
the future, is that you don't need any of this if what you're using works.

You only need stronger signal, faster network CPUs, better receiver
sensitivity, spectrum analysis, etc., when the conditions are harder.

As an example, my barn is a few hundred feet from the house, and it gets
Wi-Fi just fine from the home router (via these methods).

Another example is I live in the boondocks where we don't even have cable
on the utility poles - so I get my Internet from a WISP ~10 miles away.

As nospam originally stated, you can glom off the local Starbucks miles
away line of sight if you have good radio equipment - but only if you have
good radio equipment - which - summarized - means the following needs
a. High transmitter output (always to the legal limit)
b. High receiver sensitivity (the best your money can buy)
c. Fast radio transceiver computer CPUs (the best your money can buy)

The good news is professional equipment costs the ~same as consumer crap.
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to explain why Wi-Fi in Ethernet works for me.
Andy Burnelli
2022-12-06 18:15:13 UTC
And one can then enjoy, a degraded connection speed much worse lag/ping
and have a network prone to intereference
An advantage?
It would be an advantage if the router is out of cable range, or you
don't have a cable long enough to reach it.
My Internet comes from miles miles away LOS. Nobody has a cable that long.
<https://i.postimg.cc/VvqLKQtQ/wifi.jpg> Typical range for WISP service
Or you'd have to run the
cable down the stairs and your wife says no because someone will trip
over it and I just don't want it there. (and you agree because you did
trip over one once.) Etc.
That's where plugging a Wi-Fi transceiver into an Ethernet port comes in
handy as it doesn't need any wires except for the first six inches.
I'm sure it's situations like that that Andy had in mind.
Plugging a horn into the Ethernet port of a laptop is only one solution.

One fantastic way to paint a home sections far from the central router is
to send a wire outside to an antenna pointing right back _at_ the house.

The best part is the cost for pro equipment is about the same as the cost
for the consumer equipment most of us buy out of the box stores.
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to let people know Wi-Fi in Ethernet is useful.